Oakham Rugby Football Club
History of Oakham Rugby Football ClubOakham Rugby Football Club was formed at a meeting called by several masters from Oakham School on January 19th 1923.
Headquarters were at the Crown Hotel and players changed in some farm buildings at Barleythorpe where bathing facilities were a cattle trough, 3 six foot tin baths and a boiler. Matches were played in a field at Barleythorpe.
First game in September 1923 was against a Stoneygate side, result Oakham 33, Stoneygate 0!
No games were played during the War years of 1939 to 1945 and during 1945 to 1950 Melton and Oakham players formed a combined team.
Oakham resumed in September 1950 with headquarters at the Railway Inn in Station Road and played on the Old Agricultural Showground (opposite side of road to our present site).
Oakham fielded a 2nd XV for the first time in 1955.
The club moved to the present Agricultural Showground in 1966 and built their first Clubhouse at a cost of £1,700. An extension was added and improvements made in 1975 at a cost of £3,000.
The Mini section was formed in 1978 and has continued to grow to its present size of over 200 members.
A new Clubhouse and improved facilities opened in 1992.
The ladies section formed 1994/1995 and was promoted after a successful 1999/2000 season. In 2005/2006 ladies swept all aside to become Midlands 2 winners and National Challenge Cup winners.
1st XV play in Midlands 3 East North after back to back promotions in 2003/2004 and 2004/2005.