The Workers and Traders
The village was virtually self contained for services and shops, Mr Rodgers of Whissendine , who was the carrier, in his large covered spring cart travelled to Oakham once a week, and Mrs Thorpe, every Saturday, walked with a large basket to Oakham and collected medicines and newspapers; copies of the local papers are displayed in the reading room which is now part of Church Cottage in Well Street.
Behind The Wheatsheaf Mr Stacey's shop, now demolished, used to be a Primitive Methodist Chapel.
There were three bakehouses. Only in the winter, Mr Mantle would make pork pies and especially for hunting 'toffs'. The Wheatsheaf, a recommended pub, Noel Arms and the Black Horse still remain today, but another Inn, in 1850, was thought to have existed at the building known as the Old Rectory.