About Whitwell Church
The church of St Michael and All Angels is located on a hill, on top of 'the white spring'. There was originally a church there in saxon times, although none of the original building remains. It was replaced in the 12th century by an aisle-less church which can be seen from the present nave.
It was remodelled in the 13th century with the addition of a south arcade, an aisle and a bellcote which is suggested to be the earliest in Rutland. The chancel was also rebuilt in 1825.
There is a tablet in the church commemorating the rector Charles Ellicott who was parson for 60 years from 1820 until 1880. He was suceeded by a former curate of his who spent too much money on restoring the church in 1881.
The restoration of 1881 involved the roof rafters being renewed, the chancel and porch being repaired, the church being reseated and new tracery being introduced into the east window. The plain glass was also replaced by poor Victorian stained glass which some say has completely spoilt the church.
South of the church is the site of an excavation where some Iron Age pottery, decorated in East Midlands fashion, was found. Also found there was a rare bronze Celtic strap-union decorated with an enamel inlay.