Thrapston is situated at the meeting point of two important roads, the A605 which runs from the A6 at Higham Ferrers to the A141 east of Peterborough, and the A14 (M1-A1 Link Road) which provides a southern bypass to the town.
The town is also an important and historic bridging point over the River Nene and the original settlement may have been established in the Saxon period. The present day name Thrapston appears by the 13th Century: a market was established in 1205 and the bridge over the Nene was recorded by 1224.
The Parish Church of St James, shown in the photo, dates originally from the 13th Century and other buildings in the town date from the late 16th and early 17th Centuries. The oldest part of the town is along the western side of Chancery Lane and the High Street and to the south of the High Street are a number of streets of brick terraced housing from the Victorian Period. There are also a number of important listed buildings on the north side of Huntingdon Road - enhanced by the Peace Memorial Park across the road.
The town has a good range of facilities including a library, police station, fire station, swimming pool, and a recreation ground with sports club. Apart from the Peace Memorial Park there is also an attractive town walk which makes use of the route of the old railway line toward Aldwincle.
The 1991 Census showed a population of 3,117: the 1995 estimate was 3,523.
King John granted Thrapston its market charter in 1205. A traditional market and cattle market is still held in the town every Tuesday. St James's Church, built near the site of an ancient castle, is one of Thrapston's oldest buildings, dating back to the 13th Century. It contains a stone tablet bearing the arms of Sir John Washington, from which, it is believed, came the stars and stripes of the American flag.
Thrapston Town Map (pdf)
Clubs & Groups
Eating & Drinking
This information is managed by a Rutnet user.